Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

First steps into paleo

Recently I've been experimenting with a paleo/primal style of eating. It's primal because I do consume dairy products, but mainly just unhomogenized milk. I feel pretty strongly about UNhomogenized milk, because homogenization apparently blasts the fat particles into such small pieces that they can be absorbed differently than how humans have digested fat for thousands of years. I'm not a scientist or a dietician, but to me it just seems like we should probably consume food in the form that it's been in for thousands of years. In those forms, it also kept humans healthy and diabetes, heart problems, obesity and many other modern health problems were basically unheard of. So to me, it seems like there's a pretty good chance that part of our modern health crisis stems from artificial foods and ways of making/raising/preparing food. I.e. feeding animals GMO corn and soy, weird chemical fertilizers, etc. So I've been making a big effort to avoid these things.

The biggest reason I adopted a paleo diet about six weeks ago was because I was desperately trying to get rid of my hypoglycemia. Ever since my eating disorder, and even after recovery, I had major problems with low blood sugar, almost no matter what I ate. So eventually, even though I had been eating grains all along with what I thought was no reaction to them, I decided to cut them out and just give it a try.

The results were AMAZING!!

I lost eight pounds almost immediately without trying at all! I also stopped having low blood sugar spells, which improved my mood drastically. I also had more energy, and wasn't hungry ALL.THE.TIME. And I gained several new skills in gymnastics that I am convinced were due to losing a big of weight and gaining strength and energy!

Needless to say, I'm planning to be in this for the long haul. And honestly, I don't crave bread/pastries/etc that much because I know how crappy I'll feel. I definitely make some yummy chocolate desserts that I enjoy, but they don't send me into a hypoglycemic spell and I enjoy them so much more. The BIGGEST addition to my daily diet is COCONUT OIL!!! I LOVE it so much!! It makes me feel warm and happy and healthy. I literally use it for everything, from baking to sauteeing veggies in to cooking meat with. I've gone through four jars in the past couple of months! It's simply amazing! :)

I'll leave you with two amazing paleo meals I've enjoyed recently:

Shrimp, sauteed veggies with avocado, and strawberries!
Pesto chicken from Trader Joes with sauteed veggies. Of course in coconut oil! :)
I can't wait to see how much stronger I can get from my paleo diet and how many more gymnastics skills I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!